Periodontal disease is not just associated with our mouthes. It is also associated with several other diseases according to several research. However, for a long time it was thought that bacteria was the factor that linked periodontal disease to other disease in the body; nevertheless more recent research demonstrates that inflammation may be responsible for the association.
DIABETES AND PERIODONTAL DISEASE
Diabetic patients are more likely to develop periodontal disease, which in turn can increase blood sugar and diabetic complications. Since people with diabetes are more likely contract infections, they are more likely to have periodontal disease than people without diabetes. In fact, periodontal disease is often considered a complication of diabetes. Those people who don’t have their diabetes under control are especially at risk, since periodontal disease makes it more difficult for people who have diabetes to control their blood sugar.
GUM DISEASE AND HEART DISEASE
Several studies have shown that periodontal disease is associated with heart disease. Much research has indicated that periodontal disease increases the risk of heart disease due to inflammation cause by the periodontal disease. Periodontal disease can also exacerbate existing heart conditions. Patients at risk for infective endocarditis may require antibiotics prior to dental procedures. Please consult your Cardiologist to determine if your heart condition requires use of antibiotics prior to dental procedures.
Other research has found that bacteria that grow in the oral cavity can be aspirated into the lungs to cause respiratory diseases such as pneumonia, especially in people with periodontal disease.
In addition some studies show that men with gum disease were 49% more likely to develop kidney cancer, 54% more likely to develop pancreatic cancer, and 30% more likely to develop blood cancers.
Before we get into all the benefits of how dental implants can/will improve our oral health, we will need to fully understand what dental implants are.
What is a Dental Implant?
Dental implants are replacement tooth roots. Implants provide a strong foundation for fixed (permanent) or removable replacement teeth that are made to match your natural teeth. In other words we can place a crown if replacing a single tooth or we can use the implants to increase stability and support for Dentures (complete or partials). Best part is that it is a painless procedure. Now that we understand what dental implants are, we can now look at the benefits.
This picture shows a natural tooth next to a dental implant with a crown in top. The “Implant” portion is the post which is in the bone serving as the “root” of where the missing tooth is. The the top part is where the crown will fit over to enhance esthetics, function, and support of our mouth.
Benefits/Advantages Dental Implants provide
1. Conservative Approach One of the main benefits of dental implants are that we can keep a one tooth problem only a single tooth issue. In the past a bridge was used to fix missing teeth. Now we can place an implant in the area where teeth are missing and pinpoint all treatment to that single area/areas. No need to prepare two healthy teeth to support a bridge.
2. Improved appearance. Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth. Since they are designed to fuse with bone, they become permanent part of our mouth.
3. Improved self-esteem. Dental implants can give you back your smile and help you feel better about yourself.
4. Improved oral health. Dental implants don’t require reducing other teeth, as a tooth-supported bridge does. Because nearby teeth are not altered to support the implant, more of your own teeth are left intact, improving long-term oral health. Individual implants also allow easier access between teeth, improving oral hygiene.
5. Durability. Implants are very durable and will last many years. With good care, many implants last a lifetime.
6. Improved speech. With poor-fitting dentures, the teeth can slip within the mouth causing you to mumble or slur your words. Dental implants allow you to speak without the worry that teeth might slip.
7. Improved comfort. Because the implants become part of our mouth, implants eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
8. Convenience. Removable dentures are just that; removable. Dental implants eliminate the embarrassing inconvenience of removing dentures, as well as the need for messy adhesives to keep them in place.
Dental Implants are an important aspect of dentistry and our health. Wether we are trying to replace where a tooth is already missing or focusing on an area where a tooth is failing. Dental Implants are the superior choice to improving our health, esthetics, function and comfort.
Jump start your teeth whitening with our in-office teeth whitening procedure. Fast and effective, Venus White Max in-office whitening is your answer to an absolutely brilliant smile in a hurry. Not only do we get great results with whiter teeth, but you also get an added bonus of the antibacterial component. The end results are WHITER BRIGHTER HEALTHIER TEETH Please take a moment to see the results of one of our recent guest
Benefits Of Teeth Whitening:
1. Increased Self Esteem - By feeling better we end up doing better. In result we do better in our career or school work. Also our relationships with friends, family, and/or significant other is improved.
2. Healthier Teeth Healthier Life - Whitening will decrease harmful bacteria which harm our teeth. Also by having a brighter smile, we are more likely to improve our oral hygiene. Increased oral hygiene will in result help improve our overall health.
3. Improved First Impressions – Our smile is the most recognizable facial expression and can be distinguished from several feet away. When we have a beautiful whiter smile, we are seen as attractive and friendly. Both of which are desired perceptions for almost anyone.
4. Looking Younger - Dull, yellowed, darker, and stained teeth can make us look older than we are. Over time our teeth become discolored from everyday wear and tear caused by certain foods that we eat, drinking coffee, smoking, and how well we keep up with brushing and flossing. Teeth whitening is an easy way take several years off our appearance and smile.
5. Job Placement/Hire - Preparing for an interview demands attention. However, our smile can help us easily gain an advantage over the competition in two ways. Whiter teeth are often associated with positive personality traits such as intelligence, responsibility, and reliability. In addition, having brighter whiter teeth will improve confidence. When we have confidence in an interview, we are more likely to make a good first impression as an outgoing and competent jobseeker.
Brighter Whiter Healthier Teeth
Impacted wisdom teeth can cause several issues as we have discussed in our prior posts. Its generally a great idea to get them out before any issues arise. In this case, our patient was having early signs of issues. Instead of waiting for it to get worse, our guest made a very Wise Decision to have all four taken out. All four were severely impacted (see the arrows pointing to all 4 which were filly in bone), but with an effective treatment approach we were able to get all four out with no issues
Recently we had a very kind guest come in because of the pain she was experiencing from severely impacted wisdom teeth. On the same morning our patient came in to our office, we were able to do the consult and remove of all our guest’s wisdom teeth. If you or anyone you know is in need of wisdom teeth extractions please feel free to refer them to our office. We don’t mind taking on complicated cases such as these (note the lower impaction is completely in the bone & rotated sideways)
Remember some key reasons to get wisdom teeth extracted:
1. Impaction which can either damage the teeth next to the wisdom teeth or sever discomfort.
2. Wisdom teeth may potentially become problematic if not extracted due to the high risk of infection when food particles get trapped due to lack of access to brush and floss. If an infection occurs it could lead to other medical conditions.
So please let us help get you back into comfort and call today 615-530-0610 to make an appointment
In Office Professional Teeth whitening can have an array of results. However, most of the time it will produce noticeable changes. We had the pleasure of performing our In-office whitening on one of our fantastic patients. The results speak for themselves. See the corresponding image
There are several factors on why we should all consider extracting our wisdom teeth. One of the main reasons would be due to impaction.
This is an X-ray of one our patients who we removed the lower wisdom teeth due to the intense pain they were causing due to the degree of impaction
Impaction occurs because there is not enough room for the wisdom teeth to errupt. If they are impacted into the teeth next to them it will cause serious harm those teeth. This will compound the issues and create a less comfortable situation as well as a more financial burden. However there are several forms of impaction and all can lead to decreased oral health and problems such as:
- Damage to an adjacent tooth
- Development of a fluid-filled sac (cyst) around the wisdom tooth
- Damage to surrounding bone
- Complications with orthodontic treatments to straighten other teeth
So please visit a dentist and get your teeth checked out to see if there are any current or potential issues with your wisdom teeth.
One of our guest wanted to get teeth whitening. At the end of treatment our guest was satisfied with a New White Smile Goto our Facebook page to see our current December promotion and save $200 off our In-Office Whitening
We just wanted to share this case. Our guest came to us to create a more esthetic smile. We replace two of the gold crowns and placed one crown on a tooth with large cavities and a white filling on a tooth with a smaller cavity. Now our Guest top teeth look straighter and natural. Of course this was done in one visit thanks to our Same Day Crown Technology. We just wanted to say Thank You! to our guest for allowing us to help take care their dental needs
Recently one of our Guest came in to fix a tooth with an old filling. It was broken down and was in need of immediate attention. Of course we were able to fix our Guest’s tooth in one visit with our Same Day Crowns. We love it when our guests leave smiling